Saturday, April 30, 2011

Synchronicity and the writing of Duende

My other blogs contain chapters of my novel but I'm going to use this blog to write about how the book came together and the strange things that happened along the way. I'm not sure what synchronicity is or why and how it happens - I just know that it does. And when it happens, it's sort of scary but also like magic. It makes you shiver but then you just have to accept it and also know that it's good.
My first major experience of synchronicity on a big scale happened in 2004 and, funnily enough, it coincided with a time when I was rewriting a previous novel, Vandalism. I'd started writing this in 1997 - the worst year of my life. In 2004, I felt the urge to get it out and rewrite. I also needed desperately to get in touch with someone who'd provided inspiration for the novel. Hadn't seen him for 7 years. I searched online but couldn't find an e-mail anywhere for him.
April. At work. A university in Edinburgh. A brutal day. Finally checked my e-mail and dealt with them one by one. Got to the end and there it was. Drew Anderson:
'Hi Lizzie. I was just wondering if you were somewhere out there and how you were doing. I'm in New York now and feeling homesick so thought I would try to find you again.'
That was just the start :)

No comments:

Post a Comment