Saturday, April 30, 2011

Back to Duende and to Darwin

The synchronicity stuff that happened in 2004 has another place and time. This is supposed to be about the writing of Duende so I'll try and stick to this. Madrid - October - 2009 - and I'm stranded in a city where I can't speak their language and they can't speak mine. With basic Italian and a pocket-size Spanish dictionary, I navigate myself around with the introductory words 'No hablo espanol. Parli Italiano?' and then a lot of gestures on top. Somehow I survived 4 days in Madrid, not knowing why I was there and in a situation not of my own making and really not knowing what the hell was going on. I did a sort of daily routine which involved waking up, going to a cafe in the centre for a morning coffee, doing a circuit around the same streets which soon became familiar. One day, I was crossing the Plaza de Santa Ana for the I don't know how many times and I thought 'I feel as if I'm in a film...in which nothing happens.'
The last day, a Wednesday, and I woke up with a massive sense of fear. I was overcome with real and horrible fear.
Shit. Maybe i need to go back a few steps and explain exactly why I was in Madrid in the first place. I mentioned it in my previous post but haven't really explained at all.
I went to Madrid to meet a guy I thought I'd fallen in love with. A Cuban guy called Darwin (and yes, his name ended up providing many ideas for my novel in which a central character's a philosopher living in Spain at a time when Charles Darwin's ideas were being fiercely attacked by the hardline Catholic church)
I went to Madrid and I did indeed meet Darwin. All real. All passionate. We shared a pizza in a place I never found again during my daily walks round the centre of Madrid. We spent 4 and a half perfect hours together. When he kissed me goodbye on the Plaza del Angel, I had no idea I'd never see him again.
And I had no idea what a journey this would lead me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment